Re: Revelation - The Open test-piece

>To start off, does anyone have any opinions on the new Open test-piece
>'Revelation - Symphony for Double Brass on a theme of Henry Purcell'(phew!) by
>Philip Wilby.  Of course, no-one will really know until it's heard, but the
idea
>of two seperate bands, and almost every member having a stand-up solo or
duet of
>some sort, really intrigues me.  What does everyone else think?  Is it a good
>thing for banding?  Maybe someone out there actually has to play it in
>September!  They could really give us an idea of what it's like.

Hmmn.  As I haven't seen the music or heard anything else about it, I'm just
going on what you have said here.  Just about every person has a very
visible solo/duet part?  I don't know about that.  As a second cornet
player, I know that I am good enough to be in the band, that I meet the
band's standards, but I don't feel comfortable with a major solo bit.  To
know that the band's winning or losing might depend on me would really
stress me out.  (Glad S.A. bands don't contest!)
I suppose some might argue that everyone should be a soloist, but I
disagree.  A band needs ensemble players who can match the soloist, who
should of course be the more talented members of the band.

Erik.
epittock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx