Re: Revelation - The Open test-piece

Nigel (our esteemed host), just informed me about the 1995 test piece.  As
a scholar and enthusiast, I had already begun a modern transcription for BB
of Andrea Gabrielli's great "battle" canzona ARIA DELLA BATTAGLIA for
antiphonal (opposing, musically and spatially) halves of a single BB.
Since I am a past master of the FINALE program, its completion rests upon
my and others' interest in its appearance.  For those who might not
recognize the name, Ghedini (Respighi student) set it for orchestral wind
section, ignoring the antiphonies except to distinguish them timbrally.
The Eastman Wind Ensemble recorded it back in the 60's with some all-brass
works by the more famous GIOVANNI Gabrielli.

In my setting, the band is divided fairly equally, with the timbral mix
providing a share of difference to enhance the clarity of the lines.  The
many opportunities for small groups to "answer" one another seems to
reflect one of the other poster's anxieties about "solo" resposibilities.

In two sections, the entire piece lasts close to 15 minutes.  I may seek
extensive muting from all except the tenor horns.  If these are "de riguer"
in more advanced ensembles, I may opt for them as well.

While I cannot fully distinguish among the capabilities of the various
levels of competition, this work is certainly no more "techniqe-y" than
Holst's MOORSIDE SUITE.

This is a really fun piece to play and a BB transcription is well within
the bounds of Renaissance instrumentation practice.  Given the concerns of
some posts I have seen, private e-mail comments may be more appropriate.

BTW, the BB transcription of the Ponchielli euph/bar concerto has been
premiered by Brian Bowman with the BB of Columbus.  TUBA Press has it.  A
biased (as he is a friend of mine) report of the transcription is that it
may be superior to the original version for 19th-century Italian band.

Henry Howey
Professor of Music
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX  77341