Re: Concert Items

In message <950713232127_114531378@xxxxxxx> Sapiercey@xxxxxxx writes:

> I would like to know what kind of programs other British Style brass bands
> are performing. I am a member of the New England Brass Band (1st Baritone)
> and  our band  generally performs popular style music. In our last concert we
> played such items as Glen Miller Special, Superman, Eb Horn Solo - Somewhere
> Over The Rainbow, British Grenadiers, etc. However, we have rehearsed such
> items as "Resurgam" that could probably not be performed in the type of
> concerts we play. What do other bands do to perform technically challenging
> pieces, that aren't quite as "audience listenable"?

Balancing players and audiences interests is one of the more challenging
things a conductor is faced with. Often it's a thankless task, someone
will always point out the one item they don't like, not the twenty that they
do. It's an art I've learnt over the years. Of course it depends on the
quality of the band. Here are some examples I've recently conducted (of
various grades - some may seem to easy, some too hard):

Softly as I leave you (Euph. duet)
Ruby Tuesday
Bugler's Holiday (don't use the top 3 cornets, use back row players or all
of the cornet section - including soprano)
Cornet Carillon (as above - use the 4 player version, not the 3 player version)
Totem Pole
Manhatten Skyline
Blue Rondo a la Turk
America/Love on the Rocks
Sweet Georgia Brown (Goff Richards' arrangement)
Born Free (a little corny in the U.K. now)
Nights in White Satin (use the Kirlees arrangment)
Imperial March from Star Wars (actually from the Empire Strikes Back, arr
	Sandy Smith)
March from the 6th Symphony (Howard Snell's arrangment - difficult this!)
Czardas (Eflat Bass solo - arr Stephen Sykes)
Pachabels Canon (arr NJH)
Georgia on my mind (flugel solo)
Cortege from Mlada
MacArthur Park
Trish Trash Polka (arr Goff Richards?)
Songs of the Quay
Russian Sailor's Dance
Great Gate of Kiev (arr NJH)
French Military March (arr W. Hargreves)
Sugar Blues (Cornet Solo)
Batman the movie (arr Alan Catherall) - a little corney now, played badly
	by too many lower bands - but if you have 3/4 percussionists and a first
	rate back row cornet section it's still a fabulous piece of music
Aspects of Andrew Lloyd Webber (yes really)
Variations - Andrew Lloyd Webber - the Euphonium solo arrangment of the
	theme tune from South Bank show. It was meant for Julian L.W. on
	the 'Cello - so it ain't simple.
Devil's Galop. (a.k.a. Dick Barton - special agent)
Adventures in Brass - Ray Farr (I used to conduct the band which commissioned
	this piece from Ray).
Mack and Mabel
Music

Umpteen others, but that's enough for now!

--
Nigel Horne, Technical Director SoftCare Media Systems Ltd.
Internet: njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Fidonet: Nigel Horne @ 2:2502/21.10;