Re: Concert Items

For Steve Piercy and others interested:

In the Brass Band of Columbus, we basically have two types of programs,
with a fair amount of overlap between the two. Most of our concerts in
the Oct. - May period might be considered similar to college concert
band concerts: we do a mix of marches, brief serious pieces, major
works (test pieces and/or orchestral transcriptions), solos and perhaps
a big-band arrangement. These are quite well received; don't underestimate
your audience. (But also don't try a program of all "heavy" stuff
unless you know you have an audience that will go for it, like at a
music ed convention or some such.)

On the other hand, through the summer, and for lighter occaisions during
the "concert" season, we do typical "band in the park" type programs:
Lots of marches (British and Sousa), patriotic stuff, lighter solos,
maybe a "pops" transcription (Light Cavalry or the like), and more of
the big-band stuff.

A good way to see what others are up to is to join NABBA, the North American
Brass Band Association. Their newsletter, "The Bridge", routinely published
(that should be present tense) the programs of member bands, along with
record and music reviews and features on NA band activity. You can
join as an individual for $20. Write to NABBA, PO Box 2438, Cullowhee, NC
28723. (The Membership Secretary is Bert Wiley of Bernel Music, in case
the address looks familiar.)

Hope this has been helpful. If you want to see some sample BB of Cols.
programs, let me know, and I can dig up a couple.

Cheers,

Martin D. Jenkins			mjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Music Library Coordinator/
  Humanities Team LeaderVoice: (513) 873-4983
Wright State University			FAX: (513) 873-2356

	  "Timing is everything in doing a rain dance."