Re: bands

>     Hi all,
>
>     As I am highly interrested, like the most of us I guess, in brass
>     bands I wonder if you can reply on the following.
>
>     1.What do you think is the difference between a SA band and a "normal"
>       brass band.

	Physically I don't think there is any difference.  I don't think
there are any
	real differences in the number of players or anything like that.
For those who
	don't already know, here is the makeup of a typical brass band:

	1-Soprano
	5-Solo Cornets
	1-Repiano Cornet (not usually in Salvation Army bands)
	2-First Cornets (usually only in S.A. bands(?))
	2-Second Cornets
	2-Third Cornets (not usually in S.A. bands)
	1-Flugel Horn
	2-Solo Horns
	2-First Horns
	2-Second Horns
	2-First Baritones
	2-Second Baritones
	2-First Trombones
	2-Second Trombones
	1-Bass Trombone
	2-Euphoniums (one is sometimes Solo Euphonium)
	3-Eb Basses
	2-Bb Basses
	2-Percussionists

	Obviously this number will vary depending on the number of available
personnel,
	i.e. all spots will be filled before adding a second person on the part.

>     2.What do you prefer and why.

	Hmmn.  Biased, but I think each have their pros & cons.  What used
to be termed
	"outside" (non-S.A.) bands are generally more technically advanced
and can play
	more difficult music.  S.A. bands, on the other hand, tend to have a
sound more
	suited (for lack of a better word) to slow, melodic music.

>     3.How do you think about the more upcoming arrangements of classicals
>       (for example; Pines of Rome, Russlan & Ludmilla, Festival Overture
>       Shostakovitch, Overture 1812 and so on)

	Great!  Keep them coming!!!

>     4.and how do you think the original composers of such brilliant pieces
>       would think about brass bands playing there stuff.

	I'd bet my Sovereign cornet that most, if not all, would think it is
a good
	thing.  Procession of the Nobles absolutely cries out to be played
by a brass
	band.  All of the above pieces (when played by a competent band)
sound great
	played by a brass band.
	(On the other hand, I have serious reservations about whether or not
current
	pop music should be played by brass bands.  Just _not_ the right sound!)

>     5.Does anyone know if the piece "the Dead march in Saul" is recorded
>     by a brass band (if so, please when, where etc!) this is originally
>     written by Handel as part of one of his big opera`s.

	I'm not sure, I haven't heard of it.  Anyone?

>     Steef

Erik.
epittock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx