Re: bands

>In message <"Fri Jul 14 09:12:58
199500*/G=Steef/S=Klepke/OU=2488FPD/O=TMNL.URL/PRMD=LANGATE/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=
GB/"@MHS> Steef.Klepke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>      As I am highly interrested, like the most of us I guess, in brass
>>      bands I wonder if you can reply on the following.
>>
>>      1.What do you think is the difference between a SA band and a "normal"
>>	brass band.
>
>I think there're two differences. SA bands don't have a 3rd cornet part,
>and don't contest. The music used to be separate, we couldn't get hold
>of any SA music except the hymn and carol books, but that's changed now.
>Money talks!

Actually you bring up a good point.  Until recently S.A. music was for our
use only.  A year or two ago this changed, and yes, new markets with money
was a part of it.  But I don't think that's the only reason.

Personally, I think that this might have a negative effect on the amount and
quality of music that is published by the Salvation Army.  As one of the
largest and most consistent producers of music for brass bands, this is an
important change.
Previously, composers sent in their music for publication to receive a
hearty "Thank you" and little else.  Of course it was all for the glory of
God.

Now, however, with the Army opening its markets some composers might feel
that they are being taken advantage of and prefer to sell their music to
other publishing companies.  There are many Army composers (William Himes,
Ray Steadman-Allen, the late Eric Ball, etc.) who already have music
published outside the Army.  While the effect that this might have on the
music published overall may not be significant, it could seriously change
the number of quality pieces that the Army is able to publish.

I welcome any comments or opinions on this.

Erik.
epittock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx