Re: bands

I would disagree with some of Erik's numbers. They would put too much
balance in the middle, and anyway you'd have too many players with which
to contest. Maybe you're lucky and have a large resource. I'm not jealous,
really!

There would normally be only one player on each of these stands:

>	 2-Solo Horns
>	 2-First Horns
>	 2-Second Horns
>	 2-First Baritones
>	 2-Second Baritones
>	 2-First Trombones
>	 2-Second Trombones

>	 Obviously this number will vary depending on the number of available
> personnel,

Granted. You may also, for concert purposes rather than at contests, give
a learner some practice by adding an extra 2nd horn, 2nd baritone
and 2nd trombone.

Some composers experimented with extra players. Eric Ball liked the idea
of two Flugel parts, but to the best of my knowledge never wrote two parts.
In the 19th century bands often had 3 flugel players, doubling each of the
rep, 2nd and 3rd cornet parts - which is why even now Flugel players often
have to read of the rep part and some bands sit the flugel player with
the back row cornets, rather than next to the Solo Horn. I understand that
Gilbert Vitner wanted to add a couple of trumpet parts to band pieces,
witness "The Trumpets" written in the '60s.

--
Nigel Horne, Technical Director SoftCare Media Systems Ltd.
Internet: njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Fidonet: Nigel Horne @ 2:2502/21.10;