recordings

In the never-ending search for another great CD to listen to, I present
"Sing, Sing, Sing" by the Brass Band of Battle Creek.  The band is sponsored
by the Kellogg foundation, who pays for the guest performances by Steven Mead
and Vinnie DiMartino.  (Thank you Kellogg's for supporting great music).

Low Brass fans will love the tuba "bombs" throughout the recording, esp. in
Malaguena and the William Tell Overture.  They sound great on a good system,
but you may need headphones to really pick them up.

The CD also includes Party Piece (Sparke, solo by Mead) and La Virgen de la
Macarena (Monterde, arr. Mendez/Freeh, solo by DiMartino), both fine
performances.  Russian Christmas Music by Alfred Reed is an incredible piece
of music.  The Ohio Valley British Brass Band (of which I am a member) has
played this piece with organ accompaniment (missing on this recording :-(.  )
 in a large church - I still have shivers (as well as lightheadedness - I was
playing bass trombone at the time).  The final cut is Sing, Sing, Sing in
which Steven Mead (among others) shows that "those stuffy British guys" (not
my words) can play some pretty mean jazz improv.

Other tracks on the recording: A Sweet Shepherdess (Goff Richards), Disney
Fantasy (arr. Goff Richards), Amazing Grace (arr. Bill Himes), Barnum &
Bailey's Favorite, and Neil Hefti's Li'l Darlin' (arr. Sparke)

Sorry to go on so long, but it's a great CD whether you listen for pleasure
or for serious technique.  I don't know if it is available in stores or not,
the address on the back is:
     BBBC Recordings
     766 North Kalamazoo
     Marshall, MI 49068