Hello, and some favorite brassband CD's

Hello everybody,

I'm not sure how big an audience this mailing list is at the moment.
Can anybody (Nigel) tell ?
Maybe a posting every X connecting members would be in order ?

I'm Klaas Hemstra, like Tjip Zigterman also from the Netherlands.
I'm sory to say that i am NOT playing in a brassband, but in a
wind-band (with clarinets etc.), playing trumpet.
I tried a brassband once, a few years ago, but did not like playing in
it at the time.

Also i am into Fanfare music (typically dutch) to some extend, because
my sister and a good friend of mine play in the Frysk Fanfare
Orchestra, which are 'World Champion" in their dissipline for two
consecutive 4 year periods now, at the World Music Contest in Kerkrade
(Netherlands).

You might know that the brassband music entered the previous WMC in
1993, and that the "Sun Live Band" won the contest, beating a few
Dutch bands and the "Desford Colliery Caterpillar band". I still have
the Sun live band on tape, playing StoneHenge, the peace of music
written by Jan van der Roost, a belgian composer. A beautifull peace.

So i DO like brassband music a lot.

Therefore let me also give you some of my favorite CD titles:

First one:

Black Dyke Mills Band:
"THE COMPLETE CHAMPIONS":
Digitally recorded (DDD), playing time 59.05
Label: Chandos, CHAN 4509
Conductor: Major Peter Parks

Tracks:
- Contest Music  (Wilfred Heaton)
- Royal Parks (George LLoyd)
- Salute to Youth (Gilbert Vinter)
- Cloudcatcher Fells (John McCabe)

All the music is from the championships the Black Dyke won in the year
1985, except the last peace (my favorite). Very, very good this one.

Second:

Brass Band Limburg:
"At the contests"
( Cardiff, Bern, Rotterdam, Zutphen).
Label: Marl Stone Recordings (CDL 9407).
Conductor: Maurice Hamers

Tracks:
- The Champions (Maj. G.H. Wilcocks)
- Pasadena (Harry Warren, arr. Goff Richards)
- Excalibur, part 3 (Jan van der Roost)
- English Heritage (George Lloyd)
- Five blooms in a Welsh garden (Gareth Wood)
- Varied Mood (Ray Woodfield), euphonium solo Renato Meli
- Cambridge Variations (Philip Sparke)

Good recordings, all from various contents.

So thats it for now.
Is this interesting for you ?

Klaas

Klaas Hemstra  (hst@xxxxx)		      |   /  / ,~~~ ~~/~~
uucp: ..{uunet!}sun4nl!mh.nl!hst		|  /--/  `-,   / ___ |_/ |__|
Multihouse Automatisering B.V. Gouda,Netherlands| /  / ___/   /  --- | \ |  |
Kb's of data = Kb's of information, Mb's of data = Kb's of information .!?!..