Re: Year of The Dragon

Year of the Dragon is also one of my favourite test pieces.

The A grade band I played with used it as their own choice at the Tanunda
contest the last last time they really contested in Nov 1991.

The Hall at Tanunda is a huge Tin shed with a dirt floor and a wooden stage
at one end, but it has the most incredible accoustic for brass.

We were the first to play Year of the Dragon in that hall, and it rec'd a
standing ovation from an educated audience. Needless to say we won the own
choice, although we were 2nd overall, by one point.

>I just have to say that "Year of the Dragon" was the piece that got me
>interested in brass bands.   I was in college and we did the concert
>band/wind ensemble arrangement.  It had the most challenging tuba parts I had
>ever played in a band.  The fugue is just incredible to listen to and be a
>part of.  I went right out and orderd a cd with it on.  Then I was lucky
>enough to go to Glasgow, Scotland during a brass band competition there and
>was floored!  I also got to meet Philip Sparke there.
>
>George

     Gillian Laughton      (SS:MAF)
     Librarian, Adelaide Laboratory
     CSIRO. Div. of Manufacturing Technology
     PO Box 4, Woodville, South Aust., 5011
     E-Mail: gml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Phone: (08) 303-9123  CSIROTEL: 98 39123
     Fax:   (08) 303-9222

	 "Brass is beautiful"