Re: Author's query

It sure is great to hear that some arrangers write counter-melodies for alto
horn. My experience is long but limited in scope. I have played for 10 years
in 2 different amateur brass quintets. I did pick the alto up as a second
instrument to trumpet primarily because we didn't know any french horn
players. I found that I like the alto range very much and so have stuck with
it. In brass quintets, the style of horn parts is pretty diverse, but in the
concert bands that I have played in (all American), the alto parts are very
uninteresting. Almost always off-beats for the majority of the piece. I have
also experienced some of the french horn players disdain first-hand. I
enrolled in a week long workshop for brass at a school in Arcada California
and was dissappointed the reaction to my bringing the alto. The leaders asked
me things like "Why do you want to play that instrument" etc. I have also
been to rehearsal bands where the french horn players were noticable unhappy.
I play in tune and the right notes, so it's not that that they didn't like.
One limitation is the fact that I can't do some of the characteristic sounds
like "hand in bell".
Well, I'm rambling on, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
I'd sure love to read your finished article(s).

-Dave Topham