Re: American "English" Style ...

Graham:
The term "brass band"" is used a little more loosely here in the U.S..,
 Although the basic instrumentation  is the same, I've seen such
nontraditional instruments as keyed bugles, and even reeds included under the
banner of a "brass band".

The variance is even wider if you consider the New Orleans style brass bands,
such as the famous "Dirty Dozen Brass Band" which includes keyboard
synthesizers, guitars, saxophones, etc.. Of course, they don't play "real"
brass band music, I can assure you..
But there are many excellent British-style brass bands here in the States and
in Canada.  In fact there is even an association, whose exact name and
address I can't find at the moment, which sponsors a very large, very
excellent competition each year.

And, the principal US Service bands (Army band, Navy band, Marine band, Air
Force band ) all based here in the Washington, D.C. area have excellent brass
bands as adjuncts to the main band, but these are truly professional
musicians in every sense of the word.

I'll try to locate the name and address of that asso0ciation.  Can someone
else helpme out here?

						  -  Jim Fox  (FOXJW@xxxxxxx)