American "English" Style Brass Bands -Reply

>>> Graham Hastings <gohast@xxxxxx> Jul 20, 1995  8:01 pm wrote:

>1.   Is the instrumentation in these "English" style bands exactly the
same

>2.   Do the Low brass players all read treble clef except for the
      Bass Trombone.

>Graham Hastings

 Based on reactions I've had when explaining brass band scoring to
American brass players, I'd say it would be unwise to rely on the low
brass reading treble clef parts. I'd be tempted to suggest that your friend
might consider publishing those parts both in treble clef and at concert
pitch.
Incidentally, I've occasionally seen parts for e.g. Eb bass written in bass
clef, but transposed so that the written key is as for the treble clef part.
As a simple-minded bass player, I find this confuses the hell out of me
:-). Does anyone have an explanation of why some publishers do this? Is
it some kind of wind band convention, perhaps?

Regards
Martin Taylor
m.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx