Re: American "English" Style Brass Bands -Reply

I would second Martin Taylor's suggestion that if you want to sell
brass-band sets in the US, you'll do better if low brass parts are
available in both clefs (except bass tromb., of course). MOST euph/bari
players can read treble, but not all; advanced trombone players have
figured out that their treble clef is the same as tenor clef (with a
signature change), but many younger or amateur players won't know this;
and most American tubists will probably run the other direction when
confronted with a treble clef. HOWEVER, a lot of the American contesting
bands (and probably others) have learned to read all the treble clef parts,
and that's all they want to see. In the Brass Band of Columbus, our tubists
are in "treble mode" on Tuesday nights, and they get very cross if you
put a bass clef part in front of them.
  BTW, as a percussionist who arranges and conducts, I would put in a plug
for the option of getting transposed OR C scores. Most BB conductors
are used to looking at all those treble parts, but I really like being
able to see the concert pitch.

  The best way to reach active American brass banders is through NABBA,
the North American Brass Band Assn., and it's newsletter, The Brass Band
Bridge. To advertise in the Bridge, contact Thomas A Myers, Advertising
Manager (also President of NABBA), 155 N. Highland Avenue, Akron, OH
44303-1504, USA.  To join NABBA, contact Bert L. Wiley, Membership Chair,
PO Box 2438, Cullowhee, NC 28723, USA. Dues are $20/yr. for individual,
$100/yr. for Corporate membership. Mr. Wiley also distributes brass music,
and might be interested in doing business with your friend.

Best of luck.

Martin D. Jenkins			mjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Music Library Coordinator/
  Humanities Team LeaderVoice: (513) 873-4983
Wright State University			FAX: (513) 873-2356

	  "Timing is everything in doing a rain dance."