Re: American "English" Style Brass Bands

As a BBb player who for 30 years thought treble clef was for sissies or
trumpet players forced to play baritone, here's my 2 cents.

It's nice and comfortable to have everything in bass clef, but if you really
want to play in a brass band, at least one that plays all the literature,
you've got to belly up and learn the treble fingerings.  Surprisingly, it's
not all that difficult, just takes practice.  When our band started, all the
parts were transposed to bass clef.  Once the director had us hooked on
brass band, out came the treble clef parts with the admonition to learn it
or go back to wind band.  :-(

There was a discussion of this some time back on the tubaeuph list, with
suggestions as to haw to make the transition.  I did it by thinking "OK, the
line below the staff is Bb, the first line is D, and so on.  Not elegant,
but it worked for me.

The only problem we have now is that some music is still in bass clef.  You
get some unique harmonies when you don't look at the clef!

Mike