LSO-1968-Copland-Flugel?

I just got the CBS recording from 1968 with Copland conducting the London
Symphony Orchestra in his Lincoln Portrait.  At bar 54 there is a second
trumpet solo - i.e. 11 1/2 beats of pure second trumpet - nothing else
whatever going on in the entire orchestra.  This got my juices flowing big
time, since I play 2nd trumpet in our orchestra, and we're doing the Lincoln
Portrait next May.

Anyway, listening to the recording, this wonderful 11 1/2 beats of pure 2nd
trumpet is played *not* by a trumpet - but by a flugelhorn!  This is
significant, because I personally only play trumpet when I can't get away
with playing flugel - I just love the instrument.

So here are the questions:

1) it really *is* a flugel, right?  I mean, it's either a flugel, or it's the
richest, darkest trumpet sound I've ever heard.

2) Copland himself conducted.  Therefore, an enterprising 2nd trumpet player
snuck one by him (hey, I might try this myself), or Copland was involved in
the decision, and decided that's the sound he wanted, but never got around to
revising the score.  Does anyone out there have any contacts in the LSO, who
might be able to contact the contacts (etc.) that would have first hand
knowledge of what actually happened?

Bill Buffam
West Chester, PA

P.S. Any other flugel fanatics out there?