Introductions and Reflections

Greetings, Brass-bandophiles!

First of all, the introduction.  My name is Dan Gordon, and I play Eb
Bass with the Kensington & Norwood City Band in Adelaide, South
Australia.  Whilst these days I earn a living as a jazz double bass
player, I still play with the band (brass bands are a bit like herpes -
hard to shake).

I've been tossing these thoughts around in my mind for some time -
perhaps some of you folk have an opinion:

I've been exposed to most sides of music, and played with all manner of
different ensembles:  brass bands, jazz bands, orchestras, big bands,
chamber ensembles, rock bands, country bands, you name it, I've done it
at some time or other.  Each genre tends to have attached to it its own
particular outlook, its own perception of music as a whole.  The brass
band, though, seems to be something particularly unique, and I don't mean
that in a completely positive way.

First, the good points:  brass bands tend to be made up almost entirely
of people who want to be there, who enjoy getting together and making
music and who do so for little return other than personal satisfaction
and a sense of belonging.  From this motivation springs a refreshingly
honest and unpretentious form of music making.  There tends to be none of
the professional-type corruption which tends to work its way into even
the most amateur of orchestras.  The sound, too is uniquely beautiful, at
least to those of us who were enraptured early!

But there are some things that bother me about the brass band movement as
a whole.  There are a few things which seem to be endemic to
brass-banding which are anti-musical.  That is to say, they actively
discourage the making of music in a meaningful way.  The first of these
is competition.  Now competition is unmusical full-stop, the awarding of
marks to a musical performance is a contradiction in itself, and does the
beauty of the music a great injustice, but the particular way that the
brass band world has of treating competitions seems to make the situation
worse.  There seems to be an endless comparing of marks, as though they
are any indication of the actual merit of the performance, the musicality
of the performance, the capacity of the performance to move its audience,
to invigorate them, excite them, sadden them, give them a greater sense
of being human.  How can we quantify these qualities with a few marks,
but even having done so because of the practicalities of competition, how
can we credit these marks with anything other than the most arbitary
importance?

This brings me to my second point:  The fact that brass bands seem to
have no other means apart from competition by which to assess their
standard, and no other forums apart from competition in which to play the
serious, exciting music which I believe shows a brass band at its
magnificent best.  How many people outside of the brass band "movement"
are even aware of the existence of music like Bourgeois' "Blitz",
Gregson's "Dances and Arias", Sparke's "Aoteoroa" (insert your favourite
test piece here)?  Almost everyone I have spoken to in the greater
musical world sees a brass band as a vehicle for playing hymns and
marches, maybe the occasional watery pop arrangement in the park on a
sunday afternoon.  And, to be honest, there aren't many bands working
very hard to dispel this image.  There are very few brass bands willing
to stand up and be counted in the world of music as genuine ensembles,
deserving of as much credibility as a chamber orchestra or a string
quartet.  They seem to prefer the cosy confines of the brass band
movement, where the only thing they have to worry about are the points on
the adjudicator's sheet.

A fairly lengthy post by the standards of this list, but I would be
interested to hear any responses.

Cheers.
Dan Gordon
Adelaide, South Australia.