Re: Introductions and Reflections

Not really much to argue about there Phil. One extra thing comes to
mind, namely a new farce that has arisn over the last few years. The
dreaded "entertainment contest". I don't know if you have them in Australia,
but they are one by bands with the most ridiculous, non-musical presentations,
with "entertainment" marks normally being judged by non musicians - a favourite
to use is the local town mayor. Ridiculous and, I have to admit, something
I feel very snobbish about.

One little thing springs to mind though - what do you think of the Eistedfodd
(sp? - like all Welsh words I haven't a clue if I've spelt it right). I know
that the results are known *beforehand*, and what about "choir of the year"
that is on U.K. television and "young musician of the year". Don't
misunderstand me Phil, I agree with your point, however like most arguments
it's not completely black and white.

Anecdote Mode Engaged: About 5 years ago when I when I was applying to
conduct a 2nd section band one of the questions they asked me was "which
do you prefer - contests or concerts?" No wonder they were only 2nd section.

--
Nigel Horne, Technical Director SoftCare Media Systems Ltd.
Internet: njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Fidonet: Nigel Horne @ 2:2502/21.10;