Why I like contests !!

Hi bandsmen,

My statement: "I like contests" may sound a bit strange, but let me
give an explanation:

I like to hear original pieces for brassband, played at the best
feasible level. In "ordinairy" concerts, at most one of those pieces
is played, and often just like: "let's play from the beginning to
the end, without getting lost somewhere".

On contests, everyone sits (not too relaxed) on his/her chair and
plays the best possible. Also preparation is often a lot better.
Also all members are playing, nobody is missing because (s)he has to
visit a hairdresser or something like that.

Let me give an example:
At the European Championships 1992 in Cardiff, the Black Dyke (my
favourite band) played 2 wonderful performances. In the third
movement of the free choice, Odin, I missed the first two bars,
because they played extremely soft. I still wonder why they did not
get the first prize, maybe because Brittanias John Hudson with his
incredible trombone solo in the year of the Dragon?
Two weeks after the EC, the Dyke was giving a concert in the
Netherlands. On the stage a band with seven (7 !) substitutes,
playing not too enthousiastic. I still feel pity for my 20 Dutch
guilders spent for the entrance fee!

Conclusion: I like contests because of the level of music,
	    not for saying: we are better than you, and so on......

Note: I definitely don't want to discourage bands from the UK to give
      concerts in the Netherlands!

If anyone wants to respond, please also send a copy to
"jabakker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx", because I'm leaving the list
for a week due to holidays.

Kind regards,
--
Jacob Bakker

		"It took me fifteen years to discover that I had
	 no talent for playing basstrombone, but I couldn't
		 give up because by that time I was too famous."