Re: Introductions and Reflections

Dan,

I was very interested in your post.  I tend to share your dislike of BB
competitions.  However, I wonder if pieces like Blitz and Long White Cloud
would be written without their existence.  (Composers probably enjoy
competing on the basis of their works as well!)

Here in Dayton, Ohio, USA, I play in the Ohio Valley British Brass Band,
which is about 3 to 4 years old now I believe.  It is sponsored by a local
music store, Hauer's music.  The band's mission statement specifically states
that the band will not compete.  We play concerts in parks, auditoriums and
churches in the area.  We have also played at music and band conferences.
 Although the band is all volunteers, we play some very difficult and "heavy"
music, including Barn Dance and Cowboy Hymn and a transcription of the Finale
to Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony.  We intersperse these pieces with the marches,
hymns, and light pieces that are common in park concerts, and the audience
seems to get a lot out of it.  (My fiance, who at the time knew relatively
little about classical music, was at our first performance of the 4th
Symphony Finale and said she was crying by the end of the piece!)

Therefore, I would suggest that there are some bands out there trying to mix
(in my humble opinion) the "best" of both worlds.  We enjoy playing great
music, both classic and modern "serious" compositions, and our audiences reap
the benefits.  I hope there are other bands out there doing the same.

Ted