Re: subscribe brass-band Ian Phillipps

> Ian Phillipps has been added to list brass-band

Nigel Horne suggested I should introduce myself, so here goes.

I've been playing with Fulbourn & Teversham Royal British Legion Band
(usually just called Fulbourn RBL) for around, er, a year and a half or
so.  I started on Eb bass, and moved to euphonium last autumn.
We're not going to threaten the nationals for a while, but have every
hope of raising ourselves out of the "C" section of the EABBA next year
(2nd twice in a row! We'll fix that next year for sure...)

I hadn't been playing in bands for a few years, but have been playing
the horn (i.e. "French" horn) for around 10 years now, and did play bass
for a while before that. Brass playing started with a cornet at the age
of 7, but I didn't discover brass band playing until much later.

Now I look back on it, I'd have enjoyed it a lot, but was rather unaware
of the "scene" as a teenager. Instead, I spent frustrating hours in
school orchestras where the trumpets had little to do and the conductor
nothing to say to them.

What more can I say? The VE/VJ 50th anniversaries have kept us, as an
RBL band, quite busy this year, and there's another job on Sunday
afternoon. Sun hats not provided :-( [for benefit of non-UK readers,
we're having the hottest summer for years...]

Ian