Re: Instrumentation of most brass bands.

>There are many books on orchestration and arranging for orchestras and
>the like, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a resource for
>arranging for the Brass Band?
>
>In the meantime, if someone could post a complete list of
>instrumentation with the written and sounded notes for each instrument
>that would be helpful.  Also, which clef each player reads.  Maybe this
>is something which could be kept on an archive site after it is compiled.

David,

I've seen what I thought was a pretty good book, written by a Salvationist
composer (a very good one, but being named after him, I may be biased! : ) )
named Erik Leidzen.  I don't recall the name off-hand, but it was something
like "Arranging for the Brass Band" or something logical like that.  If no
one else knows it, I can check up on it.  I seem to recall that it gave
instrumentation as well as suggested ranges for the instruments.  It's an
introductory level book, but I think if you have a basic understanding of
arranging or composing already than this book will bridge the gap to brass
bands.

Hope this helps!

Erik
epittock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx