Re: Instrumentation of most brass bands.

In your message dated Friday 25, August 1995 you wrote :

> In the meantime, if someone could post a complete list of
> instrumentation with the written and sounded notes for each instrument
> that would be helpful.  Also, which clef each player reads.  Maybe this
> is something which could be kept on an archive site after it is compiled.
>

> David A. Roth
> david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK David, here goes:

These are the instruments of the traditional, British-style brass band.  For
purposes of balances. I have specified the number of players who usually play
each part:

     Eb Soprano Cornet (1)
     Solo Bb Cornet (4)
     Repiano Bb Cornet (1)
     2nd Bb Cornet (2)
     3rd Bb Cornet (2)
     Bb Flugel Horn (1)
     Solo Eb Tenor Horn (sometimes referred as Alto Horn in US) (1)
     1st Eb Tenor Horn (1)
     2nd Eb Tenor Horn (1)
     1st Bb Baritone (sometimes referred to as Tenor Horn in US) (1)
     2nd Bb Baritone (1)
     1st Bb Trombone (1)
     2nd Bb Trombone (1)
     C Bass Trombone (1)
     Bb Euphonium (sometimes referred to as Baritone in US) (2)
     Eb Bass (Tuba in orchestras) (2)
     Bb Bass (2)
     Percussion (3-5)

When arranging for brass band for the first time, remember that it is quite
acceptable to use divise, on the parts that have more than one player,  but if
you are arranging for a British brass band, don't write any more divise parts
than there are players.  For example, if you are arranging for a band with ten
solo cornets, then you can write as many parts as you like, but a British brass
band will USUALLY only have 4 solo cornets.

All instruments in Bb sound a Bb when written C is played, all instruments in Eb
sound an Eb when written C is played.  The bass trombone sounds a C when a
written C is played.

All instruments read the treble clef (including 1st and 2nd trombones and Eb and
Bb basses), except for the bass trombone, which reads bass clef in concert
pitch.

The layout of a typical brass band might look something like this.  (I'm not
sure how well all these spaces and tabs will travel across the 'Net, but we'll
see):

		     P  E  R  C  U  S  S  I  O  N

		 Bb Bass   *Bb Bass   Eb Bass  *Eb Bass

		  2nd Hn.   1st Hn.   Solo Hn.  Flugel
3rd Cnt.
	   Solo Cnt.				     2nd Bari.
3rd Cnt.							       Bass Tbn.

2nd Cnt.   Solo Cnt.				     1st Bari.

2nd Cnt.							       2nd Tbn.
	   Solo Cnt.				     Euphonium
Rep. Cnt.

Sop. Cnt.  Principal Cnt.				*Euphonium     1st Tbn.

			    C  O  N D  U  C  T  O  R

* denotes principal player where it is not easily recognisable by part number.

So, there you have it!  Welcome to the world of the brass band!

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan
Bass Trombonist, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass, French Open Champions 1995.