Re: Bugel =?= Bugle

-=> Quoting Nigel Horne to brassband_edc <=-

 NH> With the success of banding overseas, in particular in Holland, comes
 NH> many Dutch arrangements, for example of 'One Moment in Time', and
 NH> 'Dances with Wolves' which have both become standard pieces in the
 NH> repetoir of bands around the 2nd/1st section ability. Many of these
 NH> continental parts are marked, for example, "Solo Cornet/1st Bugle Bb",
 NH> so I've always assumed that the continental 'bugle' is not like a
 NH> British bugle.

 This assumption is wrong. The reason why these parts are marked by
 Solo Cornet and 1st Bugle Bb is that these pieces are also written
 for the typical Dutch/Belgium Fanfare-Bands. A fanfare Band plays
 in the same style as a brassband. The standard instrumentation of
 a fanfare exits of Flugelhorns (= called "bugel" in Netherlands/
 Belgium) in stead of the cornets in a Brassband. So that's why
 the parts of music written for both brassband and fanfare-band
 are marked as solo cornet/1st bugle Bb.

 eric.de.cloe@xxxxxxxxxx

~~~ Blue Wave/Pro v2.20 [NR]