Re: Instrumentation of most brass bands.

TedLaws@xxxxxxx <TedLaws@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you all for the discussions about instrumentation.  Could someone post
> something regarding the "philosophy" of the parts.  For example, I have heard
> that the flugel is often the top voice of the "choir" of the Eb alto horns.
>  But in my arrangements I never know what to do with that Eb tuba part
> (double the Bb's?, what other options are there?), and I would like to hear
> some ideas on the relationship between the baritone and euphonium parts.

Well, according to the list introduction, you should say "basses", not
"tubas"... and that's the role they're normally given.  It's unusual for
the basses to be in other than unison or octaves.

The Euphonium part goes all over the place. Sometimes harmonic
thickening with the baritones, sometimes counter-melody (solo),
sometimes melody (solo, or with baritones and/or trombone(s)).
Sometimes helping out the bass line.

Great fun to play! If you're sight-reading, it's often not obvious which
role is going to happen when (although countermelodies and bass lines are
more obvious than others, to my eyes).

But, why be hidebound? Listen to bands, read the scores, listen to the
individual instruments. Then come up with a work that'll make yourself
famous!

Ian