Horovitz -Reply

>>> Nigel Horne <njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sep 4, 1995  11:12 am >>>
wrote:
>I've been asked to take a band through Horovitz's Ballad for Band (I
hope I've recalled the name of the piece and spelt the conductor
correctly).
>If anyone knows the piece I'd appreciate some background information
and any snippets of things to watch for.

Nigel, I think the piece you're talking about is "Ballet for Band". It was
played by the NYBB on their Easter course this year: it should be
possible to obtain a cassette from Bill England, NYBB secretary, at:
85 Uvedale Road
Enfield, Middx.
EN2 6HD
Tel: 0181-482-0354  (I think this is right - check with Dir Enquiries?).
My son (bass trombonist on that course) tells me that it was the
Championship Section test-piece in 1983; is "at least as difficult as
Spectrum" (!); and "would suit a competent 1st section band". Whether
this means it would suit our band I'm not quite sure :-}.
Hope this helps.
Martin Taylor
m.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx