Embouchure questions / advice needed

From: FOXJW@xxxxxxx  (Jim Fox)

I play the cornet, trumpet (Bb, D, Eb and F), euphonium, and bass (BBb).  I
have always been taught that the placement of the mouthpiece for a "correct"
embouchure is to have it centered on the lips.

However, in reading the introduction to my J. B. Arban's last night, I find
that he recommends placing the mouthpiece one -third on the upper lip, and
two-thirds on the lower.  When I tried this, I discovered that it makes it
much easier to play the high notes, especially on the Eb and F trumpets.
However, since nothing in nature comes without a price, (Fox's First Law of
Nature), the tone was much "thinner" than before.

What is the experience base and prevailing opinion among our accomplished men
of brass regarding placement of the mouthpiece?  Do cup and rim size and
shape make any diference? (i.e., if you use a deep cup and/or a wide rim, do
you find it more beneficial to offset the mouthpiece than when using a
shallow cup and/or a narrow rim?)

Since I play both high and low brass, I need advice from all quarters.

Thank you!

-Jim Fox-