Re: Embouchure questions / advice needed

Brass Playing Colleagues,

     This is my first time posting something to the list because I,
unfortunately, know nothing about brass bands other than I heard one on the
radio while throwing my morning paper route and thought that this would be
something that I'd like to be a part of if it was a first rate band. However,
this subject is really interesting to me so I will offer my opinion.

     Mouthpiece placement is a very personal thing. Everyone's embouchure is
different IN REGARDS TO MOUTHPIECE PLACEMENT because everyone's dental makeup
is just a little different. If you don't believe me, just remember that many
dead people have been positively identified using dental records, even if the
flesh of the face has decayed to the point where just the skull is left. What
Mr. Arban says in his book regarding mouthpiece placement is good overall
advice, but can't be applied to everyone because of the differences in the
dental structures. So, if someone plays a little to the right or left of
center or uses a 1/2 & 1/2 or 2/3 upper and 1/3 lower or vice versa, it
really is of little consequence if the player SOUNDS GOOD.

     In Farkas' book THE ART OF BRASS PLAYING, if you study the Chicago
Symphony brass section photos carefully, you'll notice that NOT ONE of them
plays dead center. The upper lip/lower lip ratio  is different as well.
However, there are several factors that remain absolutely consistent in all
of the photos:

1) No puffed cheeks
2) No air pockets between the lips and gums
3) firm corners
4) flat pointed chin

     To you folks that are going to be band directors, getting the placement
and embouchure formation right on beginning students is crucial if they are
to develop a good concept of sound. I had been playing 3 years before I
started studying privately and the first thing my teacher corrected was my
embouchure formation, not my placement. It made a world of difference in my
sound.

Hope this helps,

Paul Kemp
2nd Trombone---Chattanooga Symphony