Re: Embouchure questions / advice needed

> What is the experience base and prevailing opinion among our accomplished men
> of brass regarding placement of the mouthpiece?  Do cup and rim size and
> shape make any diference? (i.e., if you use a deep cup and/or a wide rim, do
> you find it more beneficial to offset the mouthpiece than when using a
> shallow cup and/or a narrow rim?)

I went to a fascinating workshop given here by Armando Ghitalla a couple of
years ago.  About trumpet embouchure, he said that the ring created by the
mouthpiece on the lips should always overlap the white of the upper lip.
Endurance and range are dramatically greater if you do this, he said.

What I forgot to ask him was if he meant the inner ring (describing the
inside of the rim) or the outer ring.  I have always placed my cornet
mouthpiece such that the outer ring overlaps the white but the inner
ring doesn't quite; my endurance and range are not tremendous unless I
practise religiously for weeks, so I have considered changing to
Ghitalla's specifications (assuming the inner ring applies), but this is
extremely difficult after decades of habituation, and in other respects
(tone production, flexibility) my playing is fine most of the time.

Have others heard of Mr. Ghitalla's approach?  For those who don't know
him, he was 1st trumpet in the Boston Symphony for about 30 years, and
now teaches at the University of Michigan.
Eric Woodsworth / Environment Canada / Saskatoon / Canada / 306-975-4023
		    ejw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx