RE: The Open

I was playing at the Open in Manchester with the Sun Life Band.

I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself to the mail list.

I have played with Sun Life since 1989 and left at the end of 1994 due to

work commitments. For most of that time I was the repiano cornet player.

I am currently 'un-attached' to any band, although I have been helping
Sun Life at various contests/concerts when I can ( they are advertising
for
two cornet players ). I played at the Area and the Open and will be
playing
at the National.

Anyway, back to the Open.

I thought Revelation was 'interesting'. I enjoyed the challange of
standing up at
a major contest, but didn't enjoy the piece ( apart from the middle
movement
with the euphonium duet ). Listening to Black Dyke's winning performance
on
the radio  hasn't changed my opinion. I should stress however, that this
is my
own view - not that of the Sun Life Band !

The national test piece 'Songs for BL' goes into the same category for me
 -
If find this disappointing, as I think we've had some great test pieces
over the last few years at both the open and national.

Still that's just my opinion - and if you read the Band press, I'm
obviously wrong !

Any comments ?