Test Pieces

Hello All!

 SM> I was playing at the Open in Manchester with the Sun Life
 SM> Band.

The result of your band (17th) was a bit disappointing I guess?
I admire Sun Life because of their constant quality playing, and
I think the Compact Disc with music of Derek Bourgeois is the best
release of your band, I like it.

 SM> I thought Revelation was 'interesting'. I enjoyed the
 SM> challange of    standing up at
 SM> a major contest, but didn't enjoy the piece ( apart from the
 SM> middle    movement
 SM> with the euphonium duet ). Listening to Black Dyke's winning
 SM> performance    on
 SM> the radio  hasn't changed my opinion. I should stress
 SM> however, that this    is my
 SM> own view - not that of the Sun Life Band !

Unfortunately I was not in Manchester, but I am happy that I got a tape of the
winning performance of Black Dyke from one of the users of this list (Thanks
to Dave Beal!!!). My first reaction on the piece "Revelation" was "much notes,
little music", but after some more listening I start to enjoy the piece.
In my opinion the best pieces are those wich only become interesting after some
time.

There are some pieces wich intigreus me over years, for example:

Odin from the Land of Fire and Ice - Arthur Butterworth
The Beacons - Ray Steadman Allen
Partita + Contest Music - Wilfred Heaton
Dances and Areas - Edward Gregson
Blitz + Diversion - Derek Bourgeois
Cloudcatcher Fells + Images - John McCabe

Some pieces of which I think they are great, but which lose my interest after
some time:
English Heritage + Diversion on a Bass Theme + Royal Parkes + Kings Messenger -
George Lloyd
Year of the Dragon + Harmony Music + Cambridge Variations - Philip Sparke
Essence of Time + Montage - Peter Graham
Paganini Variations - Philip Wilby
Resurgam + Journey into Freedom + The Undaunted - Eric Ball
Sounds - John Golland
The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea + The Forest of Dean - Derek Bourgeois
Salamander - John McCabe
Spectrum + Variations on a Ninth - Gilbert Vinter
Connotations + Of Men and Mountains - Edward Gregson
Pageantry - Herbert Howells
etcetera....

What a list of testpieces which are really good (in my opinion)!

No, I am also not charmed by Revelation at this moment, but do not judge about
a piece until you heard it over a long period. Taste changes over the years.
I wonder if this is the same as with Songs for B.L., I almost cannot wait.
Perhaps was the performance by Black Dyke Mills not the best one, I heard that
Faireys performance was the best! I do not like the playing of the soloists of
Black Dyke in this performance (nervous tenor horn + flugel horn!!?). I also do
not like the playing of Robert Childs (too harsh sounds, some "Jurassic Park
sounds"). But the beginning and the end were very impressive (with the power of
Kevin Crockford on soprano and superb bass section). But also conductor James
Watson said that this piece has a long time to go untill the "perfect
performance" will be reached.

By the way: I heard Sun Life band in Kerkrade at the World Music Contest. Then
a piece of Jan van der Roost was the test "Stonehenge". Did you like that
piece? I cannot understand why contest organisers in Great Britain allways
choose pieces of British composers. There are also good composers of brassband
music from abroad (f.e. Jan van der Roost, Torstein Aagaard-Nillsen).
Do you know that your performance has been released on compact disc and that
Sun Life appeared on the Dutch Television?

Bye!

eric.de.cloe@xxxxxxxxxx
---