Re: Philip McCann

At 12:47 PM 10/13/95 +0100, you wrote:

>I heard that Philip McCann is leaving Sellers Engineering
>Band. Why?

I heard through the latest British Bandsman that apparently during an
outdoor concert with his band and Brighouse & Rastrick and some choirs when
they were closing with Land of Hope and Glory, some members of his band were
instead playing Scotland the Brave.  Apparently there had been some members
of the band which were interested in replacing Philip, although I don't know
why.  Anyway, Philip, being described as a "strict disciplinarian" was
"devasted" by this open dissention and resigned shortly thereafter, having
apologized to Brighouse & Rastrick for any embarrassment.
The article that I read actually dealt with the resignation of their
Associate Conductor, whose name eludes me at the moment unfortunately.  From
what I read, the band was looking for an outside conductor (for the
contest?) and it would appear that the Associate Conductor felt slighted by
this.
Personally, I think that the actions of these renegade bandsman is highly
questionable, but like I say, I have no information other than the brief
synopsis in BB.
Does anyone have any more knowledgable information to share?

Erik Pittock
epittock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[Please note new address]