Re: Phil McCann (fwd)

>> My name is Fred Harvey and I play solo horn in Imperial Brass, a brass band
>> located in central New Jersey.USA.
>>
>> I am happy to join this net of band enthusiasts and look forward to jumping
>> in when I feel I have something to add to the topic.
>>
>> Having said that, I noticed mail this morning concerning Phil McCann and
>> Sellers Band.  I was on the edge
>> of a British championship band conductor-band breakup in the mid 80s.  I was
>> very close to bothe parties and found it all quite messy.  I can only relate
>> it to a divorce.  Competing at the top level in Britain can be a rewarding
>> endeavor but there is also a price to pay.  If anyone thinks that a
>> conductor-band relationship is made in heaven and its till death do us
>> part is not reading The British Bandsman or Brass Band World.
>>
>> What a great feeling it must be to take a band from scratch, move up through
>> the sections, and take them to the top.  The special friendships that
develop
>> in the band, the all for one, one for all spirit, the nobody can stop us
>> drive.
>> But then the whispers in the pub start; I know he got us this far but can he
>> win the big one?  Maybe we, as a band are better than him as a conductor.
>>  If we only had a top name in front of the band.  Sound familiar?
>>
>> There is no right or wrong on either partys side.  Thats just the way life
>> is in contesting.
>>
>> Questions to consider:  When a band loses a contest, should players be
>> replaced to upgrade the band? DEFINITELY NOT (winning isn;t everything, just
taking part should be recognised as being important too)
							comment by A. Tregaskes

>> Should a new conductor be hired with that little extra something we need to
>> take us to the top?  AT CHAMPIONSHIP LEVEL PERHAPS BUT NOT FURTHER DOWN THE
GRADINGS (although saying that, another conductor's point of view can be
helpful).					       comment by A. Tregaskes

>> Is it who has the power?  NO - the conductor should be respected no matter
what his decision.				      comment by A. Tregaskes

>> Whose band is it anyway?  A band is a complete unit & does not belong to any
one person of group of people.
							comment by A. Tregaskes