Re: 4th Section Finals Contest (1995) at Wembley

  • To: brass-band <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: 4th Section Finals Contest (1995) at Wembley
  • From: Mike Stevenson <ah18@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 95 11:37:51 PDT

Angela,

I think you may have opened up a "can of worms" here. Is using another =

instrument to play a part cheating? I am sure that there are rules for =
brass
band competetions, but I have never seen them, do they say that one
instrument should not play the part of another instrument? If they do =
then
this band, and many others, are clearly cheating. If not then its a matte=
open to discussion.

The problem with many section 4 bands is that they lack strength in depth=
.
I played in the section 4 finals (we came 10th) and must admit to a littl=
"cheating" because we lacked players. Our bass trombone player had
booked his holidays before we qualified and one of our Bb tuba players =

could not play because of work commitments. So, as I play Eb tuba I
played a few bars of the bass trombone part and the Bb tuba part. Our =

intention was not to fool the adjudicator (I'm sure he can tell a bass =

tromone from a tuba) but to fill in important parts of the harmony. I =
am sure
that this goes on in many, if not all, bands.

Using another instrument all they way through like the baritone instead =
of
the trombone, I think is OK, if it is not against the rules of the compet=
ition.
The aim is to play the test piece as the composer intended. You can't =
do
that if there are parts missing. Getting another instrument to play them =

fills in the gaps to make musical sence but it doesn't sound the same, =

therefore, the adjuicator should deduct marks. So if we have two bands =
of
equal ability and one uses a baritone instead of a trombone, the other =

band should be awarded more marks.

Mike.