Hartlepool Cameron's Contest Results

On Sunday, the Harlepool Camerons Brass Band Contest took Place, at
the Borough Hall. I only heard the 1st section and champoinship
section as I had a rehersal with my own band. The test piece was a n
open choice, was worked very well for some bands but didn't sadly for
others. The adjuicatiors were Alan Fernie for sections 4 + 3 and
Geoff Whittam for the others. The results were as follows :

4th Section

1st - Gawthorpe Brass
2nd - Ovington Tynedale
3rd - Marske Brass

3rd Section

1st - Harrogate Band
2nd - G.T Group Peterlee
3rd -  ???

2nd Section

1st - Jayess 87
2nd - Vaux Samson
3rd - Felling Brass

1st Section

1st  - E.Y.M.S ( who played Paganini Variations )
2nd - Boldon ( who played Land of the Long White Cloud )
3rd - Rowntree Brass

Championship Section

1st - British Steel Teesdside

who were conducted for the first time today by Derek Broadbent. They
drew last and played Paganini Variations by Phillip Wilby . This was superb and they
were definatley the best band and deserved to win.

2nd - Easington Colliey

This is the band which I play for, and we played The Kings Messenger
by George Lloyd. We drew 1st. This was an excellent day for me as I
had retuned home , just to play with the band for this contest.

3rd - Ever Ready

They were conducted by Major Peter Parks and played High Peak by Eric
Ball. This was also an excellent performance.

All in all, it was an excellent day. When the contest had finished,
George Bramfitt, Chariman of the Durham County Brass Band Leauge
remarked that the contest had lasted 12 hours and 5 minutes, which
must be some sort of record for a local contest ! There was also a
promise made by Camerons Brewery to sponsor the event next year.  THe
standard in the Championship section was very high. Apart from the
pieces already mentioned, bands played such pieces as Diadem of Gold
and Diversions on a Bass Theme. The adjudicatios general remarks
echoed this, but he did stress that bands should piece a piece that
they could and not one which is beyond their capabilities. Geoff
Whittem remarked that the winners in the championship section were
definatley the ' outrigh winners ' . British Steel played an
absolutley blinding performance which was followed by raptous
applause and went on for several minutes. Anyone who knows the piece
(Paganini Variations ) knows the difficuly surrouding it. The
euphonium soloist ( Paul Robinson ) was ' out of this world ' as was
the Flugel Player ( Joanne Winspear ).
   So, on to the next contest, which in my home area happens to be
the Annual Grading Contest in February.

Bye !