A little brass history

Dear brass-band listees,
	Here is a small article which I hope you might find of some
interest, concerning brass band history, contesting, and hopefully an
improving situation for brass bands here in Australia.
	Brass bands were brought to Australia by early settlers and
especially immigrant miners from Northern England (where else?).  An
Australian brass band (Newcastle Steelworks) played havoc in the UK when
they contested there earlier this century. I doubt that would be possible
today and thankfully for us, the "ashes" tests involve cricket and not
brass-banding  :-).
       In 1992 the Australian National Brass Band Competition was held in
Launceston, on the island state of  Tasmania. We have four grades, D-grade
through to A-grade.  We (Warringah) contested there in our first attempt at
"B-grade", having been promoted from C-grade the previous year. Each band
played a Test Piece, an Own Choice piece, an Entertainment item, and a
Street March. There was then also a compulsory diagram march.
       The Test was  "Resurgam", and our Own Choice Piece was " A Downland
Suite". Our Entertainment Piece was  "Aspects of Andrew Lloyd-you know who".
The Test adjudicator was Geoffrey Brand who was visiting Australia at the
time.  Launceston was Alex Lythgoe's home town, and so another  highlight
was the opportunity to play his march "Invercargill" in the Street March.
We did not expect to win, having only recently graduated to B-grade, but we
did not come last and  the trip to Tasmania was wonderful.
	 After the contest I took my family on a hire-car tour of Tasmania
(quite spectacular and historically interesting). In a small mining ghost
town I came across a museum showing various pieces of  mining equipment and
household items of the period. My eye was drawn by a prominant display case
which held a battered engraved cornet and a faded photograph of the town's
brass band. I forget the exact date, but I think the photograph was taken in
or around 1905. The band looked a tough crew, with fine period uniforms,
quasi-military caps and prominent handlebar moustaches. Given that a brass
band contest had taken me to Tasmania in the first place, finding this
70-year old piece of band history, so remote from its origins,  was quite an
experience.
	Unfortunately, brass bands in Australia have been overtaken in
popularity by  so-called "Concert" bands, mainly due to the successful
promotion of recorders and woodwinds in school bands by their manufacturers.
Nevertheless, we do have some reasonably good brass bands, and some schools
(e.g. our Terry Hills Primary School in Warringah) still have brass, rather
than concert bands. None of our top bands (IMHO) could make championship
grade in the UK, though some (e.g. Hawthorn band  in Victoria,  and
Waratah-Mayfield band in New South Wales) are excellent bands which are
pushing the boundaries.
	Recently a voluntary (pay your own expenses) composite "Australian
Brass" band was formed from top players in Australia. Their CD is quite good
and holds promise for the future. Our first eupho (John Saunders) played in
that band. Certainly, having listened to the National A-grade competitions
over the past 5 years, I have no doubt that the quality of Australian Brass
band performances is now passing through a period of constant improvement.
	For those who might be interested in attending an Australian
National Competition while visiting, it is always held over the Easter
break, and in 1996 it will be an anniversary contest in the Darling Harbour
Convention Centre in Sydney. We are already practicing the pieces, in
between Christmas Concerts and carols in the 30degC heat and Sydney humidity!

Philip Anderton
BBb Bass, Warringah Concert Brass Band
Sydney, Australia.