S.A./Egon carol book

This is probably a less than ideal time to post things, what with the
universities going off on vacation, but it's seasonal, so here goes :-).

Our band is in the process of slowly converting from the old-style S.A.
carol books to the new, shiny red ones published by Egon in association
with the S.A. My own feelings on the new books are:
(1) They contain a lot more music that audiences actually want to hear,
particularly the Christmas songs towards the end of the book ("Rudolf
the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Winter Wonderland", etc.).
(2) For full band, the arrangements are generally an improvement.
(3) As far as I can tell, the "new" arrangements are compatible with the
old ones, at least in the melody and bass lines - I've played bass from the
new book with a group playing from the old one. The harmonies sound
identical to me - has anyone found any incompatibilities in the inner
parts?
(4) Some of the bass rhythms have been modified a little - this sort of
thing is probably good for getting players out of a rut, though I miss some
of the little features :-).
(5) In a small ensemble, the Bb Bass part is a bit of a disappointment to
me, as it's generally pitched very low. This is fine when there's an Eb
bass in the ensemble, but makes (I feel) for a poor texture otherwise. I
try to cure this by playing up an octave where appropriate. The old parts
often had the higher octave written in, but the new parts don't.
(6) It would have been nice if the paper used had been (i) white rather
than vaguely cream, and (ii) a little more water-resistant.

Anyone have any comments? I might consider dropping a line to the
publishers with a summary.

Incidentally, I've constructed a cross-reference for people to find carols
in the new book from a number for the old - they're all there bar fourteen,
though some are under different titles. I'd be happy to post this if people
would find it useful.

Martin Taylor
m.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx