(fwd) -Reply (was: S.A./Egon carol book)

Mark in Woodstock wrote:

>>(1) They contain a lot more music that audiences actually want to
>hear, particularly the Christmas songs towards the end of the book
>("Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Winter Wonderland", etc.).
>
>If this is true, then I find it truy sad that so many people want to hear
>Christmas songs that have nothing to do with Christmas.
>
>-Mark in Woodstock, NY
Perhaps I expressed myself badly... There are few things I find more
maddening than being given a request for some appropriate piece of
music, and not having it available to play. Most of what we play, and
what people want to hear from us when we tour the streets, are
traditional carols, but I have found that continued use of the same books,
year after year, can lead in some cases to a "formulaic" approach to the
music ("Start at page 1 and carry on through...").
It'd be nice to finish a set sometimes with "We Wish You a Merry
Christmas" or "Frosty the Snowman" instead of the routine "Jingle Bells"
:-).
Martin Taylor