Re: A little brass history

>       In 1992 the Australian National Brass Band Competition was held in
>Launceston, on the island state of  Tasmania.
>	Recently a voluntary (pay your own expenses) composite "Australian
>Brass" band was formed from top players in Australia. Their CD is quite good
>and holds promise for the future. Our first eupho (John Saunders) played in
>that band. Certainly, having listened to the National A-grade competitions
>over the past 5 years, I have no doubt that the quality of Australian Brass
>band performances is now passing through a period of constant improvement.

The Australian Nationals were held in Launceston, Tasmania, in 1993.

Sydney was the venue for 1992, a year that shall live long in my mind.  I
played 2nd Baritone (on a Euph) for Kensington and Norwood when we won the
National A Grade title playing Arthur Butterworth's Odin as the test - AT MY
FIRST BAND COMPETITION!  I'm now proud to say that I'm K&N's principal euph,
but unfortunately we haven't repeated that achievement, though some good
performances have been put in at the South Australian State Championships.

Yes, I think Australian Brass can really take off.  At least I hope it does
- I'm on the Adelaide 1996 Organising Committee.

The achievements in Melbourne were astonishing given that nothing like this
had happened in 70 years, and that only one solid week was allowed for the
rehearsals and the CD recording, which was done ahead of the historic
concert which was unfortunately not recorded.

The 1996 concert will be held at the Adelaide Town Hall, a superb venue both
aesthetically and acoustically, on September 21.  Advance publicity has been
sent to Australia's Band World, Band News, British Bandsman and New Zealand
Mouthpiece.

For any more info, write me.
Anthony Rogers			  ________
				       /	\
Principal Euphonium,		   \________/
Kensington & Norwood City Band,	  \    / _____
South Australian Naval Band,	      |  | /     \
Adelaide Wind Orchestra.	       0-------| ooo |
Adelaide,				 |  | |     |

South Australia.			  \  | \_____|
					    \_______/