Re: European Brass Band Championships 1996 (Bergen, Norway)

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Richard Gosney <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Jan 96 08:53:00 GMT, you wrote:
>>What's everyone's opinion on this ?
>>
>>If I remember correctly, Black Dyke got 240 000 GBP sponsorship
>>from bradford and Bingley's over three years.
>>
>I heard 210 000, but what's 30 000 between friends. They also have to
>run the band for 3 years with this money.
>
>>The story I've heard is that Tredgar Band are putting their hands in
>>their own pockets to go.
>>
>>I guess that means they want to represent their country and the Dyke
>>players don't ?
>>
>Are you sure the Dyke *player's* were the one's who made the decision.
>
>>We don't get many chances to represent our country in any form - so
>>I find it amazing that Dyke think they should refuse ?
>>Do you think they are letting us all down ? Unless there is something
>>else behind it all..........
>>
>I don't feel let down personally, after all the UK will still be
>represented. However, I can't help wondering whether the decision might
>have something to do with Mr Watsons previous visit to the Europeans in
>Norway, which led to Desford's ban from European competition ? Of course
>I could be wrong.
>>
>>Is there anyone else who wouldn't be prepared to pay some money towards
>>such a trip themselves ? I guess we all might refuse if we were just paid
>>professionals, but we are all band fans/fanatics/hobbyists aren't we ?
>>
>Mmm, are you just trying to be controversial here ? I would hardly refer
>to the band as "paid professionals". I mean, I don't see any of them
>making their living from playing in the band, do you ?
>
>>Thanks - look forward to your replies !
>>
>Interesting subject, but at the end of the day, I don't think the
>European competition is as important as perhaps it should be.
>
>--
>Richard Gosney
>Sheffield, UK
>

>--
>.
>As amateurs Black Dyke dont HAVE to participate if they cant afford, just
because WE think they should. If its YOUR wish, YOU have to pay for them. I
now that the most of the participants is paying money of their own, and is
proud just to be there. But BD has been there several times allready.
But you are right, maybe the money is not the real ground.

Soeren Nordholt, DAO,Denmark.