Re: European Brass Band Championships 1996 (Bergen, Norway)

Richard Gosney wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 96 08:53:00 GMT, you wrote:
> >What's everyone's opinion on this ?
> >
> >If I remember correctly, Black Dyke got 240 000 GBP sponsorship
> >from bradford and Bingley's over three years.
> >
> I heard 210 000, but what's 30 000 between friends. They also have to
> run the band for 3 years with this money.This is not the only money that Black Dyke get in a year, what do they
get paid for each concert they do?

> >The story I've heard is that Tredgar Band are putting their hands in
> >their own pockets to go.
> >
> >I guess that means they want to represent their country and the Dyke
> >players don't ?
> >
> Are you sure the Dyke *player's* were the one's who made the decision.Maybe it wasn't the decision of the players, but surely if they all felt
strongly enough they could have done something about it.
If it was going to cost 20000 for Dyke to go then it will be the same for
all the other British bands. If tredegar are putting their hands in their
pockets then good for them. I am a great believer in bands doing some
fund raising of their own, rather than relying 100% on sponsorship deals.
My band may not be the best in their area (Ratby) but I know that there
will always be a band here long after the big named sponsored bands have
gone.
This is not me having a go at anyone merly airing my views, I hope that
banding will last for a long time to come but I do worry about the number
of bands that fold simply because they lose their sponsorship. I spoke
with someone yesterday who (rightly or wrongly) told me that the
principal cornet at Grimethorpe is on a 7000 pound a year retainer! Is
this really banding?

I agree with Richard that the European should be more important than it
is.

P.S. Richard do you remember Sid from your days at Desford, well
unfortunately he's the conductor at Ratby at the moment, if you have any
stories about him I would appreciate hearing them

Phil Sturdy
Derby, UK
Engineering Technology