Re: European Brass Band Championships 1996 (Bergen, Norway)

I spoke with someone yesterday who (rightly or wrongly) told me that the
principal cornet at Grimethorpe is on a 7000 pound a year retainer! Is
this really banding?
Hi Again All,

 Just thought I would let you know that I know that people like Grimey's top man etc
etc are being paid a great deal of money to play i.e. I know a second horn player of
a very top band that gets just short of 2000 a year!!!!!!!! And I know when a big
band was looking for sponsorship their conductor was offerred 36,000 a year!!!!!

 Conductors can deffinatley make a living from conducting but I don't think it is
possible for players to. I suppose there is a limit where it starts becoming a bit
over the top but if everyone was in the position of being paid to play I don't think
anyone would complain. It should give you a big insentive to practice more to get
to the big boy levels and get paid all this money!!!!!!!

 Well, if Dyke are now going to the Europeans then good luck to them, good luck to
all the English bands. Personally I think Faireys will reign supreme again!!!!!!

 If nothing else it has started quite a lively chat over the "super highway"!!!

 Does anyone know the test-pieces for the Europeans? Being away at Uni I am
quite out of banding at present but still love to take a healthy interest in the gossip
etc etc whilst having a break from playing!!!! Is anyone out there going to Blackpool
for the North-West qualifiers in March?????? If so, let me know, I shall be there!!!!

 Oh well, back to work for us poor students,
 Take Care all and speak to you soon,

Steve B
e9453488@xxxxxxxxx