Re: European Brass Band Championships 1996 (Bergen, Norway)

>Hi again all,
>
> This business about Dyke is becoming a bit controversial is it not??
>
> My personal views are that the people who run Black Dyke have made the
>decision about not going and that the players would probably want to
>contribute!!
>
> I could say that I think they are taking the easy route out after there
>run of "good
>luck" in the open; nationals and european which makes it possible for them
>not to
>be beaten at the Europeans if they are not there, thus making it easy to
>say; "Well
>we would have won if we were there!".....but I won't because I am not
>controversial
>and don't wish to cause any trouble etc etc etc!!!!
>
> I know of lower section bands who have to shell out of there own pockets
>every
>time they wish to compete in a contest. they have to pay for coach fares;
>accomodation etc etc. Alright there is a big money difference here but it
>shows that
>the dedication is there at the lower levels aswell as the top levels.
>
> I feel sorry for the players at Dyke who want to go and compete at Bergen
>as it
>means they won't be able to compete at what is possibly the best contest
>in the
>world.
>
>Take Care all and speak to you soon,
>
>Steve B
>e9453488@xxxxxxxxx
>
>P.S. Brass Bands are the only thing England are the best at(to my
>limited knowledge). Surely we should be sending the best to represent our
>country.
>

>--
They are also best at military bands. The Guards bands and bands such as
the Royal Marines have in my opinion no equal. You can never mistake the
sound of a guards band on the march. While in Britain in Feb 1989 I heard a
band playing in the distance and, following the sound discovered a guards
band practiceing outside Wellington Barracks. What a treat to hear.