RE: European Brass Band Championships 1996 (Bergen, Norway)

>At 08:53 AM 1/23/96 GMT, you wrote:
>>What's everyone's opinion on this ?
>>
>>If I remember correctly, Black Dyke got 240 000 GBP sponsorship
>>from bradford and Bingley's over three years.
>>
>>The story I've heard is that Tredgar Band are putting their hands in
>>their
>>own pockets to go.
>>
>>I guess that means they want to represent their country and the Dyke
>>players don't ?
>>
>>We don't get many chances to represent our country in any form - so
>>I find it amazing that Dyke think they should refuse ?
>>Do you think they are letting us all down ? Unless there is something
>>else
>>behind it all..........
>>
>>Is there anyone else who wouldn't be prepared to pay some money towards
>>such a trip themselves ? I guess we all might refuse if we were just paid
>>professionals, but we are all band fans/fanatics/hobbyists aren't we ?
>>
>>Thanks - look forward to your replies !
>
>According to this week's British Bandsman, Black Dyke says that between
>airfare and accomodation it "would tot up to around L20,000" [that's GBP,
>sorry] which would seem prohibitively expensive, even for a band of Dyke's
>standing.  Especially when you figure that it is one contest.
>
>As for the sponsorship that is mentioned, I have no idea what the amount is.
>L240,000 sounds like a very generous amount (I truly wish that Canadian
>bands had access to such sponsorship, let alone government monies!) but
>again, I don't know the state of finances for Black Dyke.
>
>I don't know why else Black Dyke would not want to go to the Championships
>other than financial reasons.  Suggestions?
>
>Erik Pittock
>epittock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>--
I conversation with James Watson at a recital he was giving at the
Univesity of Western Ontario he mentioned the schedule and demands for
appearances and recordings that are made on the BDM. These are after all
not full time professionals even if they play better than 90% fo the
world's professioanls. It may  not always possible for a key player to get
off work for all of these events. I suspect the BDM would love to go to
Norway and as we say in NOrth America "kick butt and take names" but in
every arts organisation there have to be priorities set. The Weston Silver
BAnd in Toronto had to skip the North American Brass Band Association
Championships for 9 years precisely because of funding and player
availablility. If the UK brass band community really wants to see BDM go to
Norway send them the money. Considering how well Fairey is playing from the
recordings we get, you should be well represented.