Re: funding and sponsorship

>To the brass-band listees:
>	For the past ten years the Warringah Concert Brass Band has been
>sponsored to the (small) sum of Aus$2000 per year by the Warringah Municipal
>Council. In a letter we received this week, the Council notified us that it
>was changing the way it distrubutes arts-related funding and that means we
>will no longer be funded as a band, but will need to apply annually with no
>guarantees. We are strictly non-profit and barely  make enough to survive on
>"play-outs" (performances). This will just make things more difficult than
>they already are. We have promoted ourselves to the Council as valuable and
>economical representatives of  the Warringah Shire Council at State and
>National Contests, as well as at our numerous performances in the Shire
>itself. Our words apparently fall on deaf ears. I am told that other brass
>bands in adjacent shires are funded annually with much larger sums. I would
>be interested to hear from other bands what the "norms' are (if any) for
>funding bands linked to Shire Councils or other local government entities.
>
>BTW  $1.00 Australian = about UK 0.50p, USA 0.75c
>
>Philip Anderton
>Warringah Concert Brass Band
>Sydney
>Australia.
>

>--
In Toronto Canada the Weston Silver Band, formed in 1920 was voted a
portion of the mill rate in 1947 by the citizens of the town. The band
never took the full amount( if you could only turn the clock back) This
amounted in the 1980's to about $12,000CDN per year. Then in 1990 some
weasel politician found a loophole that reduced us to recieving about
$2,000 per year that must be applied separeately for each year. Recently
this man's replacement on the council has sought to help us regain adequate
funding. The trouble is that  many arts funding groups do not recognize a
brass band as an "arts" group. While here James Watson remarked that a band
like the BDM is every much as artistic as any chaber group or orcheatra and
a good deal better than some. What bands need to achieve is recognition as
bona fide arts organisaitions.
Graham Young,Soprano Cornet, Weston Silver Band