Re: funding and sponsorship

>       Hello all,
>  With all this talk about how much  various bands get for
>sponsorship, and how much it cost to travel here and there. Perhaps
>you may like to spare a few throughts for us here in Australia. OK
>our Bands are in general not good, as say a Black Dyke, and we have next
>to no Public profile. But please remember we still have to have the
>good Instruments and we also have to travel long distances. If
>the Australian Titles were help in Perth one year, our Band, Waratah
>Mayfield would have to somehow raise the money for a 3 1/2 hour
>Flight.
>
>Phillip Anderton in his post mention his Band, Warrigah, had just
>lost it's $2000 AUD from their local council, that is a big blow. We
>received some hats and ties from our City Council, that is over the
>last 3 years.  Ok so I'm starting to winge a little, but if any
>instrment manufactures are reading this all the Australian Bands,
>need help !!!.
>
>  All the Best Mark
>

>--
	One problem is that most Arts Councils and funding groups do not
recognize  either brass or concert bands. Here in Ontario there is a
professional brass band ,The Hannaford Street Silver Band, that is made up
of professional orchestral musicians and they recieves funding from the
Ontario Arts Council( at least so far with the cutbacks that are now
happening).However non-professioanl bands, who require much less funding,
do not get the time of day from these funding groups. While the
professional group may perform a few times a year it is the
nonprofessionals that will be out serving the community in parks, churches,
Remembrance services,fundraisers,and parades etc.
	It's easy for a politician to cut back a "non-essential" thing like
the town band but once gone restarting is incedibly difficult. What are we
talking about here anyway $2000 to $5000 ?? They spend that on coffee
breaks (or tea) for their meetings! In most cases local Arts councils are
VOLUNTEER groups. I think that bandsman have to become volunteers and
definetly more active so that they have more presence not only in the
community but on these councils. Recently we hosted the "Young Ambassadors
Brqass Band" from the UK (lead by Frank Wolfe of Oxford,
 UK ). We invited our local councilman and he was so impressed at the
standard of both bands he has now become an ally to help us regain our
funding. It is also necessary for a band to maintain the best level of
performance that they can. You must have a disciplined approach and be well
organised. The time when we can sit back and expect a local town or city
council to just hand over the money is gone. Fundraising is the challenge
for all arts groups.
Graham Young, Soprano Cornet, Weston Silver Band
Weston,Ontario