Sounds

As most of you will be aware, the top section test-piece for the areas this year
is Sounds by John Golland.  What opinions does everyone have on the choice?  We
are currently preparing for Yeovil at the weekend, so we haven't started the
serious work on it yet, although we've played it through once or twice.
Does anyone agree with me that there is far too much for cornets to do in it
compared to the rest of the band? (any cornet players out there, just ask the
bass trombonist if you can look at their part...you'll see what I mean!!)

Have any other people outside the cornet section found Sounds 'boring' to
rehearse (don't get me wrong...it's fantastic music)?  The same is true, of
course of Un Vie De Matelot.  What the NCC seem to be doing is giving the
technical pieces to 1st section (Land of the Long White Cloud, Spectrum), whilst
giving the Champs the more musically demanding pieces, even if some of the
parts are not too interesting.  Is it fair that the cornets should carry the
responsibility that should be shared by the whole band?  It would be interesting
to hear other peoples opinions.

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.
French Open Champions 1995, Burtonwood Brewery Champions 1995.