Band of the Island of Jersey

At 17:48 29/01/96 GMT, you wrote:

>Hello Keith, I was interested that you play with a Brass Band and used drum and
> not percussion, Is it the fact that you do marching than concert work.
>As a Brass Band Man that goes over your lovely island where and when do you
>practice/
>

>--
>Roy Powell

The Island Band is about 45 strong including a 10 members of the Drum Corps
based on the Royal Marines' style. We have quite a close relationship with
the RM Band, including having trained with them and played with them.
Because Jersey is an island we have problems with travel costs, we played at
the Birmingham Tattoo last year and the travel was over ukp 5,000! Thus we
rarely get to enter competition. This means we play to the "crowd" most of
the time, including park concerts, beat retreats, town marches and events at
Government House. Our jollies, mostly, are weekends to France, 3/4 hour by
ferry, where we play for anyone who can find the money to sponsor the trip.
We have a yacht race at Granville booked for this year, so far. If you wish
to find out about our practices and events, our home page
(http://user.itl.net/~kberry/bioj.htm) lists most engagements and, by way of
an e-mail before your visit, we can arrange a visit to our band room or
confirmation of events.