Re: Sounds

Tim Morgan wrote:

> As most of you will be aware, the top section test-piece for the areas this year
> is Sounds by John Golland.  What opinions does everyone have on the choice?  We
> are currently preparing for Yeovil at the weekend, so we haven't started the
> serious work on it yet, although we've played it through once or twice.
> Does anyone agree with me that there is far too much for cornets to do in it
> compared to the rest of the band? (any cornet players out there, just ask the
> bass trombonist if you can look at their part...you'll see what I mean!!)
>
> Have any other people outside the cornet section found Sounds 'boring' to
> rehearse (don't get me wrong...it's fantastic music)?  The same is true, of
> course of Un Vie De Matelot.  What the NCC seem to be doing is giving the
> technical pieces to 1st section (Land of the Long White Cloud, Spectrum), whilst
> giving the Champs the more musically demanding pieces, even if some of the
> parts are not too interesting.  Is it fair that the cornets should carry the
> responsibility that should be shared by the whole band?  It would be interesting
> to hear other peoples opinions.
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.
> French Open Champions 1995, Burtonwood Brewery Champions 1995.
>
> --

Tim,
Although I don't actually play in a top section band at the moment I have
been going down to a few rehersals at Thortons (you beat them at the
recent Leamington contest). I've sat and played the second and third
cornet parts anbd the fourth man down part and they are really quite
boring. Also my brother in law who plays 4th man down at Marple says that
his part is boring(as was the part in Un Vie De Matelot). The impression
I get is that sounds is excellent if sat either - Top/Second and Third
man down, rep, sop top euph and top horn otherwise it's not very
demanding. I personally think it is an excellent piece of music but I'm
glad that I had Land of the Long White Cloud last year and Spectrum(I've
got to admit I even enjoyed Mauriana the year before as well). Hopefully
the finals pieces will be a good selection too.

--
Phil Sturdy				       Email - pas@xxxxxxxxx
Engineering Technology