Re: Australian National Contest, Easter 1996

100 year Anniversary Australian National Brass Band Contest
				Sydney, Easter, 1996

	The Band Association of Australia's 100 year (NSW) Anniversary
National contest will be held in Sydney Darling Harbour Convention Centre
over Easter. The contest spans 4 days, beginning with solos on Thursday,
Bands on Friday (day and night)  and Saturday and Marching (I think) on
Easter Sunday.  Each band will play twice on stage: firstly a hymn followed
by a common test piece for each grade; secondly, an "own choice" test piece
followed by a concert march. There is also a compulsory adjudicated street
march, and a non-compulsory diagram march.
	       This year's contest  is significant in that all contesting
bands  will be pure Brass. Concert and other bands will contest in June. I
am told that the last pure brass National contast was held about  thirty
years ago.
	The adjudication method varies between states. National contests in
Tasmania and Victoria have had open adjudication. New South Wales  usually
follows the UK  tradition where the adjudicator can hear but cannot see the
band.

Some information about each Grade (as far as I can ascertain):

A Grade (Adjudicator Phillip McCann from UK)
Test Piece: Year of the Dragon by Phillip Sparke
15 Bands are entered!!
(5 from New Zealand)
Last years winner was Hawthorn from Melbourne, Victoria. Sydney entries will
include Willoughby City Brass Band, Holroyd Municipal Band , Sutherland
Shire Band. Midland Brick Brass Band from Perth (5000Kms west of Sydney) is
also entered, as are Fosters Auckland from NZ. Waratah - Mayfield from
Newcastle are sounding terrific.

B Grade (Adjudicator Kevin Jarret from NZ)
Test Piece: Belmont Variations by Arthur Bliss
4 Bands entered including Warringah Concert Brass and Glenorchy from Tasmania

C Grade
Test Piece: Divertimento for band by Brian Kelly
10 Bands entered
(1 from New Zealand)

D Grade
Test Piece: The Journeyman by Ray Steadman-Allen
8 Bands entered

Championship points are gained from Hymn, Test Piece, own choice and contest
march.  In case of a tie, the winning band is the one which was marked
highest mark for the common test piece.

A little gratuitous information about one of the bands in B grade:
  We will play the Recessional for our hymn, Paganini Variations by Philip
Wilby as own choice, and Saint-Saens French Military March for our concert
march. We were top Australian B-grade band last year, second to a NZ band by
a few points :-( . This year will be interesting. We have won our State
Championship three times consecutively and rumour has it that the
Association wants to promote us to A-grade. Our average age is about 25,
ranging from 16yrs (2nd cornets, 2nd horn)  to late 40s.

 This was all the information I could find for the list. Apologies to
members of contesting bands I have'nt mentioned.

The weather in Sydney over Easter is (usually) mild, maximum 23 deg C,
Minimum 15 deg C. If anyone is considering a visit, please let me know and
I'll try to help you out.

Regards,

Philip Anderton, Bb Bass
Warringah Concert Brass.